Well, our little girl, Hannah, was born just a few days ago on November 19th. Last night, she gave us quite a scare. Luke had just put Noah down for bed and we were getting ready for bed ourselves. I had just fed Hannah. Everything seemed just fine. I had her on my shoulder trying to burp her and she had her head up looking around. All of a sudden she vomited all over both of us. Immediately she began to struggle to breathe. Her poor little body contorted as she tried so hard to get a breath. From what I could tell, she didn't seem to be getting any air, but occasionally she would cry out. That let me know that she had been able to get a little air. But then she would start all over again with the straining to breathe. Several times her eyes would roll back in her head and I thought for sure I was going to lose my little girl. But as I cried out to God and yelled for Hannah to breathe, beating on her back and doing all I knew to do, she would manage to get enough air in to cry out again. I yelled for Luke to call 9-1-1. The ambulance arrived in minutes and we were on our way to the emergency room. In the E.R., they were able to stabilize her. While she was on oxygen & a breathing treatment, her oxygen levels were high - 98 to 100%. But when they would remove the oxygen mask, immediately her oxygen levels would drop. So our local E.R. called LeBonheur to have them send a helicopter. By the time the helicopter had landed, Hannah was breathing so much better. Her oxygen levels were actually at 100% without the oxygen mask. As a precaution, they continued with the plan to fly her to LeBonheur. So they loaded my little girl in the helicopter and we jumped in the van and were on our way. We stopped just before getting out of city limits to fill up with gas. As we pulled out onto the interstate, we noticed that our friend (a police officer) was getting onto the interstate just ahead of us. (We had called him and told him what was going on. He had been in charge of getting in touch with someone to come stay with Noah.) So he turned on his blue lights and sirens, we turned on our flashers, and we sped off to LeBonheur. Was that a divine appointment or what?!
When we arrived at LeBonheur, they already had Hannah inside. She was doing fine. They reevaluated her there. It didn't look like she had aspirated, which is what we had all thought at first. All her vitals looked great. They kept us several hours to watch Hannah. I was allowed to feed her at 3am and we watched her after that for a while to make sure there would be no more vomiting or breathing problems. Finally, at 4:30am we were on our way back home.
What a night! I am so thankful for our friends and family who were there for us with no hesitation: to Michael (our police friend) for his escort services and staying with us at the hospital until the early morning hours, to our friends, the Jenkins, who came over to stay with Noah, to our parents who took second shift with Noah and stayed the day with us today so Luke and I could sleep until lunch, and to all our friends who were on their knees in prayer for our Hannah.
And most of all: Thank you, Lord, for answering our prayers and allowing me to keep my little girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment