Have you ever had ants in your house?
I guess it's been about a year or so ago that we had ants in our kitchen. I thought we'd never get rid of the little pests. They were coming in around our bay window and marching down the wall and across the floor....right to the spot where Noah's high chair sat. Noah had a bad habit of slinging his sippie cup all around and tossing it on the floor. Let's just say the "spill-proof" cups weren't really 100% effective. After every meal or snack, there would be milk/juice on the floor, on the wall, in the window sill. It was everywhere. Sometimes I think Noah did this on purpose just to keep the ants coming back. He'd spend the day smashing ants with his fingers or vacuuming them up with our stick vac.
I was thinking about those ants again today. I had gone upstairs to retrieve my phone charger and noticed some ants in the windowsill (upstairs, might I remind you). They were collected around something sticky, no doubt. And I thought to myself, "How in the world did those ants know there was something sticky on my windowsill INSIDE my house and on the SECOND FLOOR!? Do they smell it from their homes 20+ feet away?" (If you know the scientific answer, please enlighten me.)
And then these verses from Matthew 6:25-34 came to mind.
Therefore I say to you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink; nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit {about 18 inches} to his stature? So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you,m O you of little faith? Therefore do not worry, saying What shall we eat? or What shall we drink? or What shall we wear? For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
If God takes care of the birds, the lilies, and the ants, He's going to take care of me too. I need reminding of this all too often. He knows my needs. If I'll just trust and obey Him, He'll work out all the details.
No comments:
Post a Comment